How to cook vegetable biryani in a clay pot
- By Dhinoj Dings
Mar 30, 2023
The dish that needs no introduction is best cooked in clay pots. Clay pots help retain food’s natural flavor like a few other things. For biryani- a dish that presents a mix of exotic and spicy flavors- that’s the perfect utensil!
Here is the recipe for cooking vegetable biryani in a clay pot.
Ingredients: 2 cups of basmati rice, vegetables chopped into tiny pieces, chopped onion pieces(1 onion), chopped tomatoes(2 nos), ginger garlic paste(2 tablespoons), turmeric powder(1 teaspoon), masala powder(2 teaspoons), cumin powder(1 teaspoon), red chili powder(1 teaspoon), coriander powder(1 teaspoon), water(1 cup), plain yogurt(1 cup), ghee(2 tablespoons), cilantro(enough to garnish), lemon wedges(enough to garnish), salt(as required)
The steps involved:
- Clean the rice properly, and then soak it in water for half an hour. Then, keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Then, saute the onion pieces till they turn a soft golden-brown color.
- Mix in the ginger-garlic paste. Then, cook for about a minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables, and then cook until they are slightly browned. After this, add the chopped up tomatoes along with coriander, cumin, turmeric, biryani masala and red chili powder. Add salt as required. Then, cook for about three minutes.
- Mix in yogurt and cook for another two or three minutes. By this point, the entire ingredients should be well mixtured under the influence of heat.
- Shift this mixture into a clay pot. Then, drain the soaked rice of water. Layer the mixture with half of this rice.
- Add water into the rice. For extra flavor, add one teaspoon of lemon juice. After this, add the rest of the rice into the pot and spread it around so that it evenly covers the surface layer.
- Cover the pot with the lid and then put it over a low flame on the stove. Cook for twenty minutes to half an hour- by this point, the rice in the pot should become tender.
- Use lemon wedges and cilantro for garnishing.
Your biryani is now ready. It’s best served hot. Bon appetit!
Check out the range of cooking pots from Mudkart.